Attorney Immigration Law Blog

By: tompmiller | April 11, 2016

An immediate relative of a United States citizen, can adjust his or her status to a legal permanent resident if the immediate relative meets certain criteria. The U.S. citizen is referred to as the "Petitioner" and the foreign immediate relative is referred to as the "Beneficiary" or the "Applicant". The Petitioner and Beneficiary file for the adjustment with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The following are immediate relatives of a U.S. citizen:
  • spouse (husband or wife);
  • child (must be an unmarried minor);
  • parent.
While there are more criteria, I will cover the main ones. The immediate relative must be in the U.S. If the immediate relative is outside of the U.S., he or she may still qualify for a...